It's coming! The idea behind a concept I have been passionate about for quite some time. I always knew I didn't want to work out of an office, and as time passed, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to quit my office job in an agency and start doing in-home therapy. At least that was one step away from the office. Don't misunderstand: I think therapy in an office is productive. I did it for years. I am excited now to present "TheraRec", which is in the works to begin soon. I did not know how to combine mental health and recreation for people looking for talk therapy, but as 2018 began, ideas started to come together, and I began to create steps and treatment plans. I knew there was more to the idea than alleviating depression and anxiety through activity. I started to learn that activity can create space for observing how we respond to our environment as we interact in it, and for finding solutions. I saw it more this winter as I taught ski lessons. A couple, who were both in their second marriage, took a first time ski lesson together. A lot of dynamics can be revealed through learning a new activity; and for some reason, the wife apologized for every wrong move she made while learning to ski. I wanted to probe more: what makes you want to apologize for something you are not expected to show expertise in? Time on the chair lift also seems to make people "get to the point" and talk more openly as they are out in the open air. I started to see this idea take shape more tangibly and I held on. This next season brings kayaking to the picture and I look forward to the space that is created between air and water. My paddle dips in and I watch the ripples go out as the water changes forms and shades of blue with one simple stroke. There's a truth here waiting to be discovered. I breathe in the fresh breeze that is held by the warm air surrounding me. The trees start to sway and shake the leaves. The moment shares a metaphor that helps me move from an end to a beginning.
No comments:
Post a Comment